Point Pleasant Battery
Point Pleasant Battery (1762-c1920) - A British colonial coastal gun battery established in 1762 during the French & Indian War by Major General John H. Bastide in present day Point Pleasant Park in Halifax, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Named for the place. Abandoned in c1920. Also known as Fielding's Battery and Breastwork Battery.
Point Pleasant Battery History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Halifax.
Originally established 23 Jul 1762 as an eight gun battery of 24-pounders in response to the French capture of St. John's, Newfoundland, during the French & Indian War. Construction on all Halifax fortifications was halted on 21 Aug 1763 at the end of the French & Indian War and they were left to deteriorate in the following years.
In an inspectional report dated 1 Jul 1812, the Point Pleasant Battery is described as having six 24-pounder cannon on traversing platforms and one 12-pounder cannon on an iron carriage. There were three spare carriages in the battery available for guns.
In 1861 the mounted ordnance was listed as ten 32-pounder cannons and one 12-pounder cannon.
In 1886 searchlights were provided to the Point Pleasant Battery.
Early in the 1900s a concrete two gun battery was built to replace the old Point Pleasant Battery with two 12-pounder QF guns.
Part of Point Pleasant Park in Halifax, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada. The concrete battery structure is quite deteriorated and unsafe. The whole battery structure is fenced off, no public access.
Visited: 22 Jun 2013