Pikes Stockade (1807-1807) - First established in 1807 by Captain Zebulon M. Pike during his expedition to the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase in Conejos County, Colorado. Abandoned in 1807.
Pikes Stockade History
Established beside the Conejos River in February 1807 by Captain Zebulon M. Pike during his expedition to the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase in Conejos County, Colorado. The stockade was built of logs in a 36 square with two log bastions on the north side. The walls were 12' high and the stockade was surrounded by a ditch.
The stockade was in use for less than a week while Pike explored and tried to find the headwaters of the Red River. Pike was actually in Spanish territory and the spanish sent a small force to escort the expedition out of the area. The Spanish force arrived at the stockade on 26 Feb 1807 and informed Pike that he was in Spanish territory. Pike took down the U.S. flag and two days later the Spanish force escorted the expedition to Santa Fe. The Spanish released Pike and most of the expedition members later in 1807.
Part of Pike's Stockade National Historic Landmark, Conejos County, Colorado. A accurate replica of the stockade has been built on the original site.
Visited: 25 Sep 2011