Picatinny Arsenal (1880-Present) - First established in 1880 as Dover Powder Depot by the U.S. Army in Morris County, New Jersey. It was quickly renamed Picatinny Powder Depot and then in 1893 the United States Powder Depot. Renamed Picatinny Arsenal in 1907. Named for a local mountain peak. Active military installation.
Picatinny Arsenal History
Established on 6 Sep 1880 as Dover Powder Depot on a 1,196 acre site between two mountain ridges in Morris County, New Jersey. The initial function was the production of gunpowder.
The arsenal was rocked by massive explosions at the nearby Naval Ammunition Depot at Lake Denmark in 1926. The explosions destroyed 187 of the 200 buildings on the post. The explosions lasted for 2 to 3 days causing $47,000,000 in damage with military and civilian casualties.
By World War II the arsenal was the only plant capable of producing large caliber ammunition and it rapidly geared up for that conflict. By the end of the war the arsenal had 18,000 civilian employees and a number of skilled scientific and technical personnel.
Following the war the arsenal specialized in conventional and nuclear large caliber munitions.
In 1977 the Army formed the U.S. Army Armament Research and Development Command at the arsenal. The command was disestablished in 1983 and the arsenal became the Armament Research and Development Center. In 1986 the arsenal became Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center.
Active military installation.