|Philipsburg Blockhouse (1839-1847) - A British Colonial blockhouse established in 1839 on a cliff of Missisquoi Bay (Lake Champlain) in present day Saint-Armand (Philipsburg), Québec, Canada to protect the border with USA (Vermont). Also called Missisquoi Bay Blockhouse.
Philipsburg Blockhouse, the blockhouse
At the end of the Rebellion of 1837-1838, a blockhouse was built on a cliff on the east shore of Missisquoi Bay, northern tip of Lake Champlain, close to the village of Philipsburg and on a main road going to Saint Jean and Montreal from Vermont to keep watch on the Canadian Patriotes and the border. By 1840, it was garrisoned by Colonel Dyer’s Corps of Volunteers and after by a squadron of the Queen’s Light Dragoons. The blockhouse was abandoned in 1847.
Philipsburg Blockhouse, History
During and after the Rebellions of 1837-1838, Vermont and New York were a refuge for the Canadian Patriotes and a source of weapons for the Canadian rebels, so the control of the border and the circulation between the neighbor countries was important for the British Authorities of Lower Canada (Quebec). For this purpose, police corps was created in the rural counties east of Richelieu River to watch the inhabitants and some outposts were established for the Tory Militia to patrol along the border.
The site is on private land and nothing remains, no sign.