Ortona Armoury (1965-1977) - Originally built as a Hudson's Bay Company stable established in 1914 in present day Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Became a Naval Base HMCS Nonsuch during World War II and after the war became Ortona Armoury. Converted to civil use in 1977.
Ortona Armoury History
Originally built as a Hudson's Bay Company stable established in 1914 converted to automobile garage for HBC delivery vans in 1924. The building was later leased to a variety of tenants until the beginning of World War II when it was sold to the Department of National Defence for one dollar in 1939.
In 1939 the Edmonton Half Company of the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve occupied the former stables. In 1941 the building was commissioned as a navy base with the name HMCS Nonsuch. In 1965 the building was taken over by the Loyal Edmonton Regiment 3rd Battalion and was renamed the Ortona Armouries after the regiments heroic [[World War II] battle.
Public Works Canada began management of the building in 1977 and a variety of new tenants occupied the former stables. Currently occupied by artistic and cultural tenants.
Currently occupied by artistic and cultural tenants.
Visited: 12 Jul 2014