Old Stone Fort (1)
Old Stone Fort (1) (1777-1785) - A Revolutionary War refuge and fortification first established as a German Reformed Church in 1772 near Schoharie in Schoharie County, New York. The church was enclosed with a log stockade in 1777. Abandoned as a fortification in 1785. Also known as the Lower Fort.
Old Stone Fort History
A Revolutionary War refuge and fortification first established as a limestone German Reformed Church in 1772. The church was enclosed by a log stockade in 1777 and garrisoned by Continental soldiers in 1778-1779. The Schoharie Valley, the Middle Fort and the Lower Fort were attacked by British, Tory and Indian Forces in October of 1780. The British forces under Sir John Johnson and the Mohawk Indian forces under Chief Joseph Brant laid waste to the valley but were unable to take either fort.
During the U.S. Civil War the church building served as an armory for the local militia. In 1773, the building was given to Schoharie County for preservation as a historic landmark.
Part of the Old Stone Fort Museum Complex near the town of Schoharie in Schoharie County, New York. The complex includes six other historic period buildings. The stone church building houses the museum.
Visited: 15 Jun 2016, 3 May 2012