Newport Barracks (1)
Newport Barracks (1) (1861-1865) - A Confederate post established in 1861 as winter quarters in Carteret County, North Carolina. Captured by Union forces on 22 Mar 1862. Recaptured on 2 Feb 1864 by Confederate forces but abandoned by them soon after. Finally abandoned later in 1865.
Newport Barracks (1) History
A Confederate log barracks complex established in 1861 by the 7th North Carolina Infantry as winter quarters. The post was captured by Union forces on 22 Mar 1862 and expanded to include two forts, a hospital, a headquarters, stables and earthworks. The union complex included a command post for Union defenses from New Bern to Morehead City. The two forts were constructed on either side of the Newport River along the railroad line. The southernmost fort was named Fort Ripley (2) and directly protected the barracks. This fort also seems to have been named Fort Benjamin locally.
Confederate forces under General James G. Martin recaptured the barracks on 2 Feb 1864 driving Union forces back across the river and burning the barracks and the bridges. The Union troops retreated all the way back to Beaufort leaving the Confederate troops with the victory. The confederates were forced to return to Wilmington when General George E. Pickett failed to prevail at New Bern and Newport was returned to Union hands. Finally abandoned by Union forces in 1865.
Two markers in Newport, Carteret County, North Carolina
Visited: 19 Mar 2012
Newport Barracks (1) Picture Gallery