Montmorency Redoubt

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Montmorency Redoubt (1759-1759) - A British redoubt established in 1759 during the French & Indian War by British General James Wolfe in present day Montmorency Falls Park, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Abandoned and burned in 1759.
Fort Montmorency Redoubt Marker
Fort Montmorency Redoubt View from Wolfe House
Fort Montmorency Redoubt

Montmorency Redoubt History

Part of the Harbor Defense of Quebec.

Redoubt Park Sign

A British redoubt established on 10 & 11 Jul 1759 during the French & Indian War by British General James Wolfe as a part of his initial attack on the City of Quebec. General Wolfe's attack from the Montmorency Heights was not successful and his troops suffered great casualties. The redoubt had been built within the range of French positions which were on higher ground and the terrain did not offer General Wolfe any respite from the French fire.

General Wolfe abandoned the attempt and instead landed his troops on the Plain of Abraham where he defeated the French on 13 Sep 1759 and captured the city. Both General James Wolfe and the French commander, General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, were killed in the battle.

The redoubt was destroyed by fire on 4 Sep 1759.


Current Status

Earthworks remain with a marker in the center and some park interpretive signs. The Wolfe house is nearby, both in Montmorency Falls Park, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.


Location: Montmorency Falls Park, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.

Maps & Images

Lat: 46.89183 Long: -71.144253

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 21 Jul 2013



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox