Mission San Nicolas de Tolentino
Mission San Nicolas de Tolentino (1674-c1675) - A Chacato (Chatot) Indian Spanish mission established in 1674 near present day Marianna, Jackson County, Florida. Abandoned circa 1675.
Mission San Nicolas de Tolentino History
Established 22 Jun 1674 as a Spanish mission to the Chacato (Chatot) Indians in Jackson County, Florida. The mission was built by a party of Spanish missionaries and soldiers at a Chacato villiage described as located in front of a large cave between the Chipola River and Holmes Creek. The church was dedicated 22 Jun 1674 and the first baptism took place that same day. The mission was destroyed during an Indian uprising about a year later and not rebuilt.
Exact location not known, probably near Florida Caverns State Park in Jackson County, Florida