Mission San Juan Capistrano
Mission San Juan Capistrano (1731-1823) - A fortified Spanish mission established in 1731 by Franciscan Catholic missionaries in present day Bexar County, Texas. Named after Saint John of Capestrano. The mission was partially secularized in 1794 and in 1823 completely secularized and abandoned as a mission.
Mission San Juan Capistrano History
A fortified Spanish mission initially established in 1716 in east Texas and moved to the present location in 1731.
The mission concept included bringing friendly Indians into the mission and organizing a Christian community with the Indian leaders functioning as the leaders of the community. The priest was responsible for the religious instruction and care of the community. A limited number of soldiers were typically assigned for protection and as a deterrent to any attack by hostile Indians. A nearby presidio was established to furnish a stronger force that could respond to serious attacks on any mission and to protect ranchers and colonists in the area. The Presidio San Antonio de Bexar was established in 1718 to protect the missions, ranchers and colonists the San Antonio area.
The stone church, priest's quarters and the granary were completed in 1756. Like most missions in this area, the mission was enclose by a stone wall about two foot thick that had quarters for the mission Indians built along the interior. Several strong gates provided entry to the interior courtyard.
The mission was partially secularized on 14 Jul 1794 and in 1823 completely secularized and abandoned as a mission.
One of five Spanish missions in the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. Services continue at the church.
Visited: 28 Nov 2011