Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga (1749-1830) - A fortified Spanish Franciscan mission established in 1749 along the San Antonio River in present day Goliad County, Texas. Abandoned in 1830. Also known as Mission Espiritu Santo.
Mission Espiritu Santo was a fortified Spanish mission established in 1749 near present day Goliad in Goliad County, Texas. The mission had previously been located at Matagorda Bay along with the Presidio La Bahia both the mission and the presidio were moved to their present locations along the San Antonio River in 1749.
The mission was abandoned in 1830 as the Indian population dwindled and secularization distributed the mission lands.
Part of Goliad State Park, Goliad County, Texas. The mission was partially restored by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s and early 1940s. The Texas State Parks system acquired the property in 1931 overseeing the CCC restoration and further restoring the chapel and granary in the 1970s.
Visited: 1 Dec 2011