Medicine Hat NWMP Barracks
Medicine Hat NWMP Barracks (1883-1893) - A North West Mounted Police (NWMP) Barracks first established in 1883 in present day Medicine Hat, Alberta. Abandoned in 1893.
Established as a North West Mounted Police Barracks in 1883 on a bluff overlooking the South Saskatchewan River across from present day Medicine Hat, Alberta. The post came to have 13 buildings housing 25 men and their horses. It was located at a river crossing and had its own ferry landing at what was known as Police Point.
With the coming of the railroad and the growth Medicine Hat the decision was made in 1893 to move the post across the river and into the town of Medicine Hat.
No remains of the barracks. A stone cairn is located near the site on the third tee of the Medicine Hat Golf Course. Access comes from the Police Point Park which is below the golf course on the tip of Police Point. The wilderness center in the park has some interpretive panels about the barracks and there is a sign along the river with a brief history.
Visited: 9 Aug 2014