McGowan's Pass Redoubt
McGowan's Pass Redoubt (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 in present day New York City, New York County, New York. Named McGowan's Pass Redoubt after the location. Captured by British troops in the fall of 1776 during the battle for New York City. Returned to Patriot control in November 1783 when the British evacuated New York. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of McGowan's Pass Redoubt
A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established early in 1776 in present day New York City, New York County, New York. This redoubt was established at a critical point along the east side road into New York City where the road passes through two large boulders, known as McGowan's Pass. That point is now within the northeast corner of Central Park in New York City at about Fifth Avenue and East 107th Street.
The Patriot redoubt was captured by British troops on 15 Sep 1776 during the battle for New York City and occupied by them for the duration of the seven year occupation.
The fortifications a McGowan's Pass were returned to Patriot control on 21 Nov 1783 as the British began the evacuation of New York City. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.