Maiden Springs Fort
Maiden Springs Fort (1774-1794) - A colonial frontier fort first established in 1774 during Lord Dunmore's War on Reese Bowen's property. Used until the end of Indian hostilities in 1794. Also known as Reese Bowen's Fort.
Maiden Springs Fort History
Originally seven militia forts were to be constructed in 1774 during Lord Dunmore's War against hostile Indian tribes. Capt. William Russell was to command four of the forts on the Lower Clinch River and Capt. Daniel Smith was to command three forts on the Upper Clinch River. These forts were to be erected by the local militia men supervised by Colonel William Christian who had been sent out to the frontier by Col. William Preston who was commanding officer of the Fincastle County Militia. The forts were generally named for the landowners where they were located and/or the military commanders. Many of them had multiple names as landowners and commanders changed.
The Maiden Springs Fort was located at the Maiden Spring branch of the Clinch River at the home of Rees Bowen. Reese was a commander at the battle of King's Mountain and was killed there in 1780.
Marker only on Route 91 near the intersection of Route 609 in Tazewell County, Virgnia.