Macon Arsenal (1862-1865) - A Confederate arsenal established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia. Captured and destroyed in 1865 by Union forces under General James Wilson.
Macon Arsenal History
The Confederate government purchased the Findlay Iron Works for use as the Macon Arsenal and began producing ordnance there on 10 May 1862. The arsenal was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Richard Cuyler.
The arsenal produced 6 and 12-pounder cannons and later Napoleons and Parrot cannons.
General William T. Sherman bypassed Macon on his march to the sea. The arsenal continued in operation until Macon and the Macon Arsenal were captured in April 1865 by Union forces under General James Wilson.
No remains in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia