Long Island Military Reservation
Long Island Military Reservation (1903-1946) - A World War II Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1942, on Long Island, Cumberland County, Maine. Named in War Department G.O. 8, 1937. Abandoned in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine.
This reservation consists of three separate sites, all purchased/leased at different times. The earliest site is a 9.59 acre site acquired in 1903 and originally used for a pair of searchlights and fire control position(s). The second site was leased in 1943 and third site was purchased in 1942. Site #2 was 32.73 acres located on the south end of the island containing Battery AMTB 965 and site #3 was 2.23 acres on the north end of the island containing Battery AMTB 966. Site #1 contained fire control stations and an SCR-296 radar during World War II
Part of Long Island, Cumberland County, Maine.