Lackland Air Force Base
Lackland Air Force Base (1941-Active) - A United States Air Force base first established in 1941 as a part of Kelly Field at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. Became an independent base and renamed San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center in 1942. In 1946 the base was renamed Lackland Army Air Field for General Frank A. Lackland, an early commander of Kelly Field. Renamed Lackland Air Force Base on 3 Feb 1948. Became a component of Joint Base San Antonio on 1 Oct 2010. Active military installation.
Provides basic military training for Air Force recruits. Lackland Air Force Base hosts the Inter-American Air Forces Academy, the Defense Language Institute English Language Center and Wilford Hall Medical Center. Lackland typically trains between 20,000 and 30,000 new Airmen a year in the 8 1/2 week Basic Military Training (BMT) course.
World War II
Construction began on 15 Jun 1941 as a part of nearby Kelly Field. Became an independent base and renamed San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center in 1942. By 1945 Lackland had expanded into the training of personnel for almost every Army Air Corps need.
Basic trainees were housed in two-story WWII type open bay barracks.
Post World War II
Following World War II and the separation of the Air Force from the Army in 1947, Lackland evolved into the Basic Military Training (BMT) center of the Air Force at Lackland Air Force Base. Other training missions established at Lackland included Air Force marksmanship school, sentry-dog training program, security police training, cryptographic Training, Inter-American Air Forces Academy and the Officer Training School (OTS) on the Medina Annex.
Training facilities evolved from tent facilities to temporary World War II wood construction to the present day permanent 1000-bed barracks BMT facilities. Lackland also has the largest USAF hospital complex in Wilford Hall Medical Center.
Active Air Force Base and part of Joint Base San Antonio along with Randolph Air Force Base and Fort Sam Houston. The Air Force is currently building 20 new structures on Lackland, including eight 1,200-person training complexes with four dining halls. Two campuses, east, and west are being built in phases. They will replace the 1,000-bed Recruiting, Housing & Training facilities built in the 1960s and 1970s.
Lackland operates two large annexes, one at the former Kelly Air Force Base as Kelly Field Annex and Medina Annex.
Visited: 20 May 2015