King's Redoubt (1776-1779) - A British Revolutionary War redoubt established in 1776 in present day New York City, Bronx County, New York. Held by the British until 1779. Destroyed and abandoned by the British in 1779 when they abandoned their outer defense lines around New York City.
History of King's Redoubt
A British Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 in present day New York City. Built as a small redoubt directly between the Harlem River and Fort No. 6. This redoubt was armed with two 9-pounder iron cannons and included a half-stone watch house. Shown on the map above as a small semi-circular fortification with the flat side facing the river and the round side facing Fort No. 6.
On 17 Sep 1779 the half-stone watch house in the redoubt was torn down and the Kings Redoubt itself was torn down on the 18th. A British work party consisting of 1 Captain, 2 Subalterns, 10 Sub-officers, 2 drummers and 172 privates was responsible for demolishing Fort No. 4, Fort No. 5, King's Redoubt and the remains of the stone powder magazine at Fort Independence on 18 Sep 1779. They completed the work by two o'clock in the afternoon.
No remains. Map points are approximate and based upon the map above and the location of Fort No. 6 which are also approximate.