Kenney's Fort

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Kenney's Fort (1839-1842) - A settler post established in 1839 by Dr. Thomas Kenney and Joseph Barnhart in Williamson County, Texas. Abandoned in 18??.

Kenney's Fort Marker
Kenney's Fort Double Trail Marker
Kenney's Fort Marker Locale

Kenney's Fort History

Built as a defense against hostile Indian attacks in the spring of 1839. Served as a jumping off point for the 1841 Santa Fe expedition that departed from Kenney's Fort on 19 Jun 1841. The expedition reached Santa Fe but its members were captured by Mexican Soldiers at Santa Fe and marched to Mexico City where they were released in 1842.

During the 1842 Texas Archives War, the archives of the Republic of Texas were captured at Kenney's Fort and returned to Austin.

Current Status

Marker only in Williamson County, Texas

Location: Marker on Hwy 79 near Old Settler's Park, Williamson County, Texas.

Maps & Images

Lat: 30.520097 Long: -97.643808

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 9 Nov 2011



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox