Johnson's Fort (2)
Johnson's Fort (2) (1854-18??) - A Mormon settler's fort established in 1854 during the Walker Indian War in present-day Enoch, Iron County, Utah. Named for Joel H. Johnson whose home was built inside the fort. Abandoned as a fortification after the Indian hostilities ended.
Initially established after 1851 as a house and corral by Joel H. Johnson to care for the cattle belonging to Iron County settlers. The spot was selected because of a nearby spring, a rarity in this dry country.
In 1854, during the Walker Indian War (1853-1854), Brigham Young requested that the site be fortified. A new fort was built by Johnson and the settlers as a strong 165' square enclosure with thick, 9' high clay walls. Inside the compound was a large two-story building known as the bastion and a central well. On the north wall was a large log gate and on the south wall was a smaller gate.
Probably abandoned as a fortification after the end of Indian hostilities.
Marker and cedar log stump display. The marker indicates that some remains can be seen at the actual site 1/2 mile North of the marker but that site appears to be on private property.
Visited: 19 Oct 2018