|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Indianapolis Arsenal (1863-1902) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War by the Federal Ordnance Department. Located in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. Abandoned in 1902.
Indianapolis Arsenal History
Established by the Federal Ordnance Department in April 1863 on the site of the former Indiana State arsenal. Captain William Y. Riley, Ordnance Department was the first commanding officer. Ten arsenal buildings were constructed between between 1864 and 1893. The arsenal served as a supply storehouse housing some 100,000 rifles at one point.
The arsenal was closed in June 1902 and a caretaker detachment from Fort Thomas, Kentucky maintained the post until April 1903 when it was purchased by Winona Lake Technical and Agricultural Institution. The property eventually became Arsenal Technical High School in 1916.
Remaining buildings part of Arsenal Technical High School campus in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana.
Location: Arsenal Technical High School, 1500 East Michigan Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana.
Maps & Images
Lat: 39.777778 Long: -86.133056
- North American Forts - Indianapolis Arsenal
- Arsenal Technical High School
- The Story of Technical High School
Indianapolis Arsenal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!