Huggins Island Fort
Huggins Island Fort (1861-1862) - A Confederate six gun forts established in 1861 on Huggins Island, Onslow County, North Carolina. Abandoned in 1862 and burned by Union forces.
Huggins Island Fort History
Construction of the fort was completed in December 1861 by troops and slaves. A company of North Carolina troops under Captain Daniel Munn garrisoned the post from January 1862 until they were ordered to New Bern in March 1862. The departing troops took the cannons with them when they departed and several of them were captured by Union forces in the battle of New Bern.
On 19 Aug 1862 the fort was destroyed by a Union force under Colonel Thomas G. Stevenson, 24th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. The barracks and ammunition magazine were burned down leaving only the earthworks.
Undeveloped on the island with the earthworks still visible. Private boat access only. Part of Hammocks Beach State Park on Huggins Island, Onslow County, North Carolina. Marker at Highway 24 bridge at Swansboro, North Carolina. Fort Map point is approximate.
Visited: Marker 17 Mar 2012
Huggins Island Fort Picture Gallery