Hancock Barracks (1828-1845) - A U.S. Army barracks established in 1828 as a border defense during the border dispute known as the Aroostook War in present day Houlton, Aroostook County, Maine. Abandoned in 1845.
Hancock Barracks History
Established by the U.S. Army 5 May 1828 on the U.S. - Canada border. The post was established to provide a presence during a border dispute with Canada. The barracks was garrisoned with three companies of the 1st U.S. Artillery.
The post was abandoned 9 Sep 1845 and the buildings were sold at auction in 1873. The post cemetery still exists.
Houlton, Aroostook County, Maine
Location: Houlton, Aroostook County, Maine.
Maps & Images
Lat: 46.128933 Long: -67.81475
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 365
Hancock Barracks Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!