Greenbush Cantonment (1812-1819) - A U.S. Army post established in 1812 during the War of 1812 in Rensselaer County, New York. Abandoned in 1819.
Greenbush Cantonment History
First established in May 1812 on a 400 acre site purchased by the government for training War of 1812 troops. Built on the site were accommodations for some 4,000 troops that included a 100 bed hospital. A central core of buildings, eight large enlisted barracks (252' by 22') and three large two story officer barracks (90' long), housed the garrison. The central core was surrounded by the support buildings and the stables. Each set of four enlist barracks faced a separate long parade while the three officer's quarters were positioned at the head and foot of the parades.
The post was declared surplus in May 1819 and sold to private parties in 1831.
Private property in East Greenbush, Rensselaer County, New York. One building, an officer's barracks, remains now converted into apartments. The Red Mill school now occupies the grand parade.