Glasgow Air Force Base
Glasgow Air Force Base (1942-1946, 1955-1968, 1971-1976) - A United States Air Force Base first established in 1942 as Glasgow Army Air Field at Glasgow, Valley County, Montana. Closed in 1946 and reopened in 1957 as Glasgow Air Force Base. Closed in 1968 but reopened between 1971 to 1976.
Established as Glasgow Army Air Field (AAF) about 17 miles north of Glasgow, Montana. Glasgow AAF was activated on 10 Nov 1942 as a satellite field of Great Falls Army Air Base. The first bomber Squadron arrived at Glasgow Army Air Field on 29 Nov 1942 for advanced B-17 training. The last unit to complete training left for England in October 1943. A German POW camp was established at the base on 1 Dec 1944.
On 15 Jul 1946 Glasgow AAF was declared surplus.
Construction of Glasgow Air Force Base began in 1955 and the base was activated in 1957 as an Air Defense Command (ADC) interceptor base with F-101B Voodoo aircraft. In 1960 the runway was lengthened from 8.900 feet to 13,500 feet and the Strategic Air Command (SAC) stationed B-52 bombers and KC-135 tankers at the base. The SAC mission and the ADC mission ended in 1968 and the base closed.
Glasgow AFB reopened as a SAC dispersal base between 1971 and 1976. The base was also used as an Army Safeguard ABM depot until that program was cancelled in 1976.
Glasgow AFB closed in 1976. The base did not attract any business activity because of the remote location. The extensive base housing was offered to the public and a few units were occupied. The Boeing Company later began using the airfield for testing aircraft and today owns the majority of the base itself (not the housing area).
Base housing area is now known as the Town of St. Marie but is very sparsely populated and continues to deteriorate. The Boeing Company continues to operate the base proper as an aircraft testing facility managed by the Montana Aviation Research Company. Access to the Boeing part of the base is restricted.
Visited: 9 Aug 2016