Fort Zarah (1864-1869) - A U.S. Army post established in 1864 by Major General Samuel R. Curtis who named the post after his son, Major Henry Zarah Curtis, who was killed 5 Oct 1863, at Fort Baxter during William Quantrill's massacre. Located in Barton County, Kansas. Abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1869.
Fort Zarah History
A U.S. Army post established on 6 Sep 1864 by Major General Samuel R. Curtis in Barton County, Kansas. The post consisted of a single sandstone building, 120' by 52', two stories high with blockhouse at opposing corners. This single building house the troops and their horses.
Decreasing use of the Santa Fe Trail and reduced hostilities with the Indians made Fort Zarah unnecessary. The post was abandoned by the U.S. Army on 4 Dec 1869 and the site was transferred to the Interior Department on 25 Mar 1871.
Part of Fort Zarah State Park, Barton County, Kansas