Fort York Armoury
Fort York Armoury (1933-Present) - A Canadian Armoury established in 1933 in City of Toronto, Ontario. Active military installation.
Fort York Armoury History
Construction began on the Armoury in 1933 and was completed in 1935. The Armoury was built as a large three story drill hall with a barrel vault roof constructed entirely of wood. The main drill hall space is 125' by 138' with a surrounding gallery on the second floor and a basement below.
The basement originally housed training, service and locker rooms, a rifle range and the caretaker's apartment. The ground floor contained the drill hall, company and orderly rooms as well as the office canteen. The second floor container the officer and sergeant's messes, drum and lecture rooms as well as the engineer's office. The third floor had band rooms and flat decks for practice.
Currently home to the Queen's York Rangers, the Royal Regiment of Canada and the 32nd Signal Regiment.
Visited: 8 Aug 2013