Fort Yates (1874-1903) - A U.S. Army post established in 1874 as Standing Rock Agency Post in the present day town of Fort Yates, Sioux County, North Dakota. Named Fort Yates on 30 Dec 1878 for Captain George W. Yates, 7th U.S. Cavalry, who was killed 25 Jun 1876 at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1903.
Fort Yates History
The Standing Rock Indian Agency moved from Grand River to the present day town of Fort Yates in July 1873 accompanied by only 12 U.S. Army soldiers. These soldiers were removed in Jul 1874 and the three companies that were to garrison the new agency remained at Grand River until quarters in the new locate were completed in May 1875. The original post was built out with three sets of officer's quarters, a barracks, a guardhouse, two storehouses, a hospital and other support buildings.
The post expanded by four companies in response to increased threats in early 1876 and when Colonel George Custer's command was massacred in June 1876, four more companies were added. As other nearby posts closed, Fort Yates grew to house some 3,000 troops before it was closed in 1903. Fort Yates was abandoned by the U.S. Army on 11 Sep 1903 and the former post became the headquarters for the Standing Rock Reservation.
Only the old guardhouse is still identified as belonging to the old Fort Yates post.
Visited: 15 Sep 2013