Fort Wood (3)
Fort Wood (3) (1863-1864) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 as Fort Creighton near Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee. Named for Colonel William R. Creighton, who was killed at Ringgold, Georgia, in November 1863. Renamed Fort Wood in 1864 after General Thomas J. Wood, (Cullum 1235). Abandoned in 1864.
History of Fort Wood
Established in 1863 during the Union occupation of Chattanooga as a large earthwork enclosing several city blocks with high walls and a central magazine. Surrounded with deep and wide ditches. Situated on present day Fort Wood Hill then east of Chatanooga on the outer line of the Union Chattanooga defenses. Shown on Union maps as mounting 14 light cannons (eight 8-inch Rodman guns and six 12-pounder Whitworth guns.) Abandoned in 1864.
Small marker at 849 Vine St. and three display cannons placed by the National Park Service at 801 Oak Street and 850 Fortwood Street.
Visited: 1 May 2016