|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Wolcott (1794-1836) - A U.S. Army post established first as Fort Washington (7) on the site of previous colonial fortifications in 1794 on Goat Island in the present day city of Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island. Renamed Fort Wolcott in 1798 for Connecticut Governor Oliver Wolcott who died 1 Dec 1797. Upgraded in 1808 as a Second System coastal fort. Abandoned in 1836. Also known as Fort George (13) and Fort Liberty.
No remains on Goat Island in Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island
Location: On Goat Island in the City of Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island. Map Point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.48791 Long: -71.32785
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 706-707
Fort Wolcott Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!