Fort William H. Seward
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort William H. Seward (1898-1943) - A U.S. Army post established as Haines Mission in 1898 near present day Haines, Haines Borough, Alaska. The post was made permanent on 3 Mar 1904 and named Fort William H. Seward for Secretary of State William H. Seward, who purchased Alaska for the U.S. in 1867. Renamed Chilkoot Barracks in G.O. 54, 13 Dec 1922. Abandoned in 1943. Also known as Fort Seward (3).
Fort William H. Seward History
Fort Seward was the last of 11 military posts established in Alaska during the Alaska's gold rush (1896-1903). Established to preserve law and order in the gold camps, the fort also provided a U.S. military presence in Alaska during boundary disputes with Canada.
Chilkoot Barracks was placed in caretaker status in 1943 and sold in 1947.
Near Haines, Haines Borough, Alaska.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Seward Type: Class: Populated Place ID: 863307
- Location: Haines Borough, Alaska, US, FIPS Code: 02100
- Latitude: 59.2288889, Longitude: -135.4377778, Elevation: 0 Map: Skagway A-2
- As Of: 01 Jan 2000
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Haines, Haines Borough, Alaska.
Maps & Images
Lat: 59.226841 Long: -135.444131
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 20
Fort William H. Seward Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!