Fort Wilkinson (1)
Fort Wilkinson (1) (1797-1806) - A U.S. Army Fort first established in 1797 near Milledgeville, Baldwin County, Georgia. Named Fort Wilkinson probably after General James Wilkinson. Abandoned for Fort Hawkins in 1806.
Established in 1797 as a U.S. Army post on the Indian boundary and the Federal Road.
The Treaty of Fort Wilkinson on Oconee River was signed here in June 1802. The treaty was signed for the U. S. by James Wilkinson, Brigadier General of the Army, Benjamin Hawkins, Creek Indian agent, and Andrew Pickens of South Carolina.
The Lower Creek Indian Agency was located here (1796-1806) relocated to Fort Hawkins in 1806 with the fort garrison.
One roadside marker and two stone site markers at Vinson Highway and Fort Wilkinson Drive, Milledgeville, Baldwin County, Georgia. Fort Wilkinson Drive ends in a circle at the site where the two stone markers are located.
Visited: 1 Feb 2018