Fort Weller (1859-1859) - A U.S. Army post established in 1859 at the end of the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. William P. Carlin (Cullum 1469), 6th U.S. Infantry in present day Mendocino County, California. Named for California Governor, John B. Weller. Abandoned later in 1859.
This U.S. Army post was established on 3 Jan 1859 to both control and protect the Indian populations of the Round Valley and Mendocino Indian Reservation. The temporary post was built on the east bank of the Russian River on the reservation by Company D, 6th U.S. Infantry from Benicia Barracks. In October 1859 the post was abandoned.
No remains, site located near the town of Redwood Valley, Mendocino County, California. Map point may not be accurate.