Fort Wagner (3)
Fort Wagner (3) (1777-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1777 near Nelliston, Montgomery County, New York. Named Fort Wagner after Lieutenant Colonel Peter Wagner the owner of the property. Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1783.
History of Fort Wagner
Established in 1777 at the home of Lieutenant Colonel Peter Wagner as a part of the Revolutionary War defenses of the Mohawk River Valley. A palisade was erect around the stone house and a blockhouse to create a refuge for local residents from the raiding British, Loyalists and their Indian allies.
Loyalists forces under Sir John Johnson attacked Fort Wagner in the fall of 1780 but were successfully driven off by the garrison.
Abandoned as a fortification at the end of the war in 1783.
The house and an addition still exist 1.6 miles northwest from the Nelliston intersection of Main Street and River Street along NY 5. A marker is located between the road and the house.
Visited: 14 Jun 2016