Fort Volusia (1836-1857) - A U.S. Army post established in 1836 during the Second Seminole War by Captain Benjamin T. Elmore's Corps of Columbia and Richland Riflemen in Volusia County, Florida. Abandoned in 1857.
Fort Volusia History
A U.S. Army post established 28 Feb 1836 during the Second Seminole War by Captain Benjamin T. Elmore's South Carolina Volunteers and Lieutenant Irving's company of artillery. This fort was established on a large shell mound.
This post was garrisoned intermittently and finally abandoned about 1857.
Unknown in Volusia, Volusia County, Florida.