Fort Vinton

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Vinton (1839-1850) - A U.S. Army post first established as Fort Number 2 S in 1839 by Captain G.W. Moore, 7th U.S. Infantry, in Indian River County, Florida. Abandoned in 1842 but reactivated in 1850 as Fort Vinton. Named for Captain John R. Vinton (Cullum 168), 4th U.S. Artillery who died at the Battle of Vera Cruz in the Mexican War. Finally abandoned 22 May 1850.

Fort Vinton Marker Text
Fort Vinton Marker Locale

Fort Vinton History

A U.S. Army post first established as Fort Number 2 S on 7 Apr 1839. Abandoned by 1842 but reactivated early in 1850 as Fort Vinton. Finally abandoned 22 May 1850.

Current Status

On private property, Indian River County, Florida

Location: Indian River County, Florida. Map point is the marker. The actual site location is thought to be on private property, several miles south of the intersection of Highway 60 and 66th Avenue.

Maps & Images

Lat: 27.638867 Long: -80.462467

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 14 Feb 2012



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox