Fort Vincennes (1732-1760) - A French colonial fort established in 1732 by Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes in present day Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana. Named for Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes who was burned at the stake in 1736. Abandoned in 1760. Also known by its original French name as Poste de Vincennes; and in American sources thru the mid‑19th century, as Post Vincennes.
Fort Vincennes History
Established by French Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes in 1732 as one of a proposed line of forts to counter British expansion. Vincennes led an expedition against the Mississippi Chickasaw Indians but was captured and burned at the stake in 1736.
The fort was abandoned by the French in 1760 during the French & Indian War (1754-1763) and by the end of that war it was in dilapidated condition. The British occupied the post and town after the end of the war. During the Revolutionary War the British rebuilt and renamed the fort (see Fort Sackville).
George Rogers Clark National Historical Park in Vincennes, Knox County, Indiana
Fort Vincennes Picture Gallery