Fort Van Alstyne
Fort Van Alstyne (1777-1783) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1777 inpresent day Canajoharie, Montgomery County, New York. Named Fort Van Alstyne after the owner Philip Van Alstyne. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Sometimes known as Fort Rensselaer (2).
History of Fort Van Alstyne
The stone house of Marte Janse Van Alstyne constructed in 1749 and fortified early in the Revolutionary War. It was located at present day 42 Moyer Street in Canajoharie Village.
Fort Van Alstyne became a rendezvous place for the Tryon County Committee of Safety, which directed the military and civil affairs in most of the Mohawk Valley. General Nicholas Herkimer received his commission here to command the County Militia in 1775.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
The historic building is operated by Van Alstyne Homestead Society, a volunteer organization dedicated to preserving the building and collections of the Van Alstyne house. Historic museum.
Visited: 14 Jun 2016