Fort Tipperary (1808-1815, 1866) - A large earthworks fort established in 1808 in present day Saint Andrews, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. Abandoned in 1815 at the end of the War of 1812. Rearmed briefly for the Fenian Raids in 1866 and after that used by militia forces for training.
Fort Tipperary History
Fort Tipperary was established in 1808 as a part of the in response to the Chesapeake Affair which was a prelude to the War of 1812. As the war began, the defenses were supplemented with three outlying blockhouses and Fort Tipperary was refurbished, all at the expense of local citizens.
The fort itself was built out as a star shaped fort with stockaded earthworks that measured some 400 feet by 300 feet, it was never fully completed. Inside the fort was a barracks, a 70-man blockhouse, a stone bombproof magazine, storehouses and a fuel yard. Armement initially consisted of three 18-pounder cannons and six 12-pounder cannons.
The fort was garrisoned through the War of 1812 but the garrison departed after the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in 1814. The fort was thereafter used by militia forces for training and briefly during the Fenian Raids in 1866.
On private property in Saint Andrews, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. Part of the earthworks has survived in good condition and it now encloses a private residence. Four cannons are reported mounted on the earthworks, two of them can be seen from the street side. The cannons are reported as being two bronze 9-pounders and two iron 32-pounders.
Visited: 15 Jun 2013