Fort Thornburgh (1881-1884) - A U.S. Army fort first established in 1881 near Maeser, Uintah County, Utah. Named Fort Thornburgh after Major Thomas T. Thornburgh (Cullum 2181), 4th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in the Meeker Massacre by hostile Ute Indians on 29 Sep 1879. Abandoned in 1884. Frequently misspelled Fort Thornburg.
History of Fort Thornburgh
Established on 17 Sep 1881 by Captain Hamilton Smith Hawkins and four companies of 6th U.S. Infantry. The post was established in the aftermath of the Ute Indian War to control the Ute and protect the government Indian agents. Initially established at the junction of the White and Green Rivers but later moved 35 miles to a point on Ashley Creek.
The troops were initially housed in tents at both locations but later eight adobe buildings were built at the second location. The post was abandoned early in 1884 and turned over to the Interior Department for disposition on 22 Jul 1884.
Marker at Maeser, Uintah County, Utah.