|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Ter-Waw (1857-1862) - A U.S. Army post established in 1857 during the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. George Crook, 4th U.S. Infantry, in present day Klamath Glen, Del Norte County, California. Abandoned for Camp Lincoln in 1862. Also known as Fort Terwer.
Fort Ter-Waw History
A U.S. Army post established on 12 Oct 1857 during the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. George Crook, 4th U.S. Infantry. The post was sited in a valley along the Klamath River about six miles above its mouth at the present day town of Klamath Glen. The post was evacuated in June 1861 but reoccupied in August 1861. In the winter of 1861-1862 it was flooded four times and the decision was taken to remove the garrison to Camp Lincoln near Crescent City in 1862. Abandoned 10 Jun 1862.
Marker only in Klamath Glen, Del Norte County, California
Location: Klamath Glen, Del Norte County, California. Map point is the location of the marker at the intersection of McBeth Way and Terwer Riffle Road. Maps & Images
Lat: 41.50992 Long: -123.98855
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 96
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 36
- North American Forts - Fort Ter-Waw
- Wikipedia - Fort Ter-Waw
- California Military Museum - Fort Ter-Waw
Visited: 14 Nov 2012
Fort Ter-Waw Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!