Fort Taylor (3)
Fort Taylor (3) (1858-1858) - A U.S. Army post established in 1858 by Colonel George Wright on the Snake River in Columbia County, Washington. Named for 1st Lt. Oliver Hazard Perry Taylor (Cullum 1302), 1st U.S. Dragoons, who was killed 17 May 1858 by hostile Spokane Indians. Abandoned in 1858.
Fort Taylor (3) History
Fort Taylor was established on 11 Aug 1858 by Colonel George Wright on the south bank of the Snake River where the Tucannon River enters. The post was only active for six weeks during hostilities with the Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and Palouse Indians. The Fort was built out with basalt rock and hexagonal log bastions.
The post was abandoned 2 Oct 1858 at the end of the Indian hostilities.
No remains at the mouth of the Tucannon River where it enters the Snake River, Columbia County, Washington