|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
History of Fort Strother
Established in 1813 by General Andrew Jackson after the Battle of Tallassahachee in preparation for the Battle of Talladega. The fort was about 100 yards square and included an 8‑hut hospital complex and 25 tents for soldiers. Also included within the enclosure was a space for about 100 hogs.
Abandoned in 1814.
Marker only in St. Clair County, Alabama.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Strother Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 1680985
- Location: St. Clair County, Alabama, US, FIPS Code: 01115
- Latitude: 33.7636111, Longitude: -86.0475, Elevation: 476 Map: Ohatchee
- As Of: 01 Dec 2003
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Near Ohatchee, St. Clair County, Alabama.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.7636111 Long: -86.0475
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 16
- North American Forts - Fort Strother
- The War of 1812 by Francis F. Beirne, Chapter 20
- Wikipedia - Fort Strother
- Historical Marker Database - Fort Strouther
Fort Strother Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!