Fort Stevens Lashup Radar Site
Fort Stevens Lashup Radar Site (1950-1952) - A Cold War Air Force Lashup Radar Site first established in 1950 on Fort Stevens, Clatsop County, Oregon. Named Fort Stevens Lashup Radar Site after the location. Initially assigned a Lashup ID of L-36. Abandoned in 1952.
History of Fort Stevens Lashup Radar Site
Established in September 1950, just after the start of the Korean War and became operational later in 1950, manned by the 759th AC&W Squadron. The station initially had an early warning mission and a Ground Control Intercept mission. The early warnng mission involved tracking and identifing all aircraft entering their airspace while the GCI mission involved guiding interceptor aircraft to their targets.
Initial equipment included the TPS-1B height finder/search radar and a CPS-5 search radar mounted on top of Battery Mishler at Fort Stevens. The old gun emplacements had been covered over with a concrete roof when the battery was converted to an HECP during World War II. The unit headquarters was located in the Fort Stevens Guard House and the underground portion of Battery Mishler served as the operations and maintenance center for the squadron.
The 759th moved to Naselle Air Force Station Washington on 1 Jan 1951 but the Lashup site at Fort stevens remained operational until February 1952.
Battery Mishler remains but the underground portion is only opened for guided tours on specific days and times, call the visitor center. The Guard house still stands and is generally open during park hours but call before visiting.
Visited: 24 Aug 2008, 18 May 2008