Fort Stamford (1781-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1781 in present day Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut. Named after the town. Abandoned in 1783.
Fort Stamford History
Worried by the close proximity of raiding British troops in nearby New York, the town of Stamford and Governor Trumbull authorized the construction of a fortification at Stamford.
Construction began on 4 Oct 1781, was nearly completed in early December 1781. The fortification consisted of four 30' square earthwork redoubts at the corners of the fort. The redoubts were connected by wooden barracks which housed the troops and formed the fort walls. The inside dimensions were about 135' by 165'.
The fort was declared surplus property and sold on 25 Apr 1783 along with all the Public Property. The person who purchased the fort property
never completely demolished the old fort and when the City repurchased the land in the 1970s the five-acre site still had remnants of the earthworks. The five acre plot of land that contained the fort remains has become Fort Stamford Park. A memorial plaque at the site tells the story of the fort.
Part of Fort Stamford Park.
Visited: 10 Jun 2016