Fort St. Peter

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort St. Peter (1719-1729) - A French post established in 1719 by four missionary priests from the Seminary of Quebec. Located on present day Snyder's Bluff in Warren County, Mississippi. The post was abandoned in 1729 after all but four of the inhabitants were massacred by Yazoo Indians. Also known as Fort San Pierre, Fort St. Pierre des Yazous, Fort St. Claude. U.S. Civil War Confederate Fort Snyder was built on the site in 1862.

Fort St. Peter Marker
Fort Snyder and Fort St. Peter Site and Markers

Fort St. Peter History

This French post was established in 1719 by four missionary priests from the Seminary of Quebec, their leader was the Reverend Francis de Montigny. The post was located on present day Snyder's Bluff in Warren County, Mississippi. The fort and the farms established by the settlers expanded until there were a total of 16 farms associated with the post. The post was abandoned after all but four of the inhabitants were massacred by Yazoo Indians on 31 Dec 1729.

Current Status

Marker only on Snyder's Bluff, Warren County, Mississippi.

Location: Snyder's Bluff, Warren County, Mississippi.

Maps & Images

Lat: 32.49501 Long: -90.79893

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 5 Dec 2009


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox