Fort St. George (2)
Fort St. George (2) (1607-1608) - First established in 1607 by the Popham Colony under Captain George Popham on present day Sabino Head in Sagadahoc County, Maine. Named after Saint George, patron saint of England. Abandoned along with the colony in 1608 after the death of George Popham.
Established by the Popham Colony, the first settlement in New England, in August 1607. The fort was constructed as a large star shaped fort with nine cannons of various sizes mounted. A detailed plan of the fort was drawn by an expedition member, John Hunt, and survives today. The colony lasted only a single year and the surviving members returned to England in 1608.
The site is a part of Fort Baldwin Historic Site at Sabino Head, Sagadahoc County, Maine
Visited: 14 Jun 2012