Fort Smith (7)
Fort Smith (7) (1874-c1970) - A Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) fur trading post and fort first established in 1874 along the Slave River at the present day Town of Fort Smith, Northwest Territories. Named after Donald Alexander Smith, a commissioner, governor and principal shareholder of the HBC. Closed after 1970.
A Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post and fort first established in 1874 on the Slave River. The post was down river from a portage around four impassible rapids. Above the rapids the HBC established Smith's Landing Post (actually in Alberta) as a companion portage post.
Despite the cession of Rupert's Land to Canada in 1870, the HBC maintained a monopoly for trade at Fort Smith until the discovery of gold in the Yukon. After 1900 there were 13 other trading posts located at Fort Smith, most independent traders.
The HBC post was rebuilt and modernized circa 1930.
Closed after 1970.
Fort Smith RMCP Post (1911-Present)
In 1911, a government presence was established at Fort Smith with the arrival of an Indian Affairs agent, a regional medical doctor, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police opened a detachment.
The HBC no longer maintains a retail outlet at Fort Smith under that name. The RCMP still has a detachment at Fort Smith.