Fort Slemmer (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War fort established in 1861 in Northeast Washington DC. Named Fort Slemmer after Lieutenant Adam Slemmer, (Cullum 1461), commander of Fort Pickens who refused to surrender the fort to the Confederates at the beginning of the war. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Slemmer and 2d Pennsylvania Artillery
History of Fort Slemmer
Soldiers at the gate of Fort Slemmer
Established in 1861 as a small three gun earthen fort with a 93 yard perimeter. The fort was armed with three 32 pounder smoothbore cannons and one 8" howitzer. Garrisoned in February 1862 by the 26th New York Infantry.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Slemmer, Maj. Charles Hunsdon commanding. - Garrison, one company First Vermont Artillery – 3 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance sergeant, 73 men. Armament, three 32-pounder barbette, one 8-inch siege howitzer. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, full sets and serviceable. Drill in artillery, ordinary. Drill in infantry, ordinary. Discipline, ordinary. Garrison of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the War.
Some traces, no marker.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531564
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 139.