Fort Slaughter (1856-1857) - A U.S. Army post established in 1856 by Captain Erasmus Darwin, 3rd U.S. Artillery and troops from the 9th U.S. Infantry as Camp Muckleshoot Prairie in present day Pierce County, Washington. Later named Fort Slaughter for Lt. William A. Slaughter (Cullum 1389), 4th U.S. Infantry who was killed by hostile Indians on 4 Dec 1855. Abandoned in 1857.
Fort Slaughter History
Established 20 Mar 1856 by Captain Erasmus Darwin, 3rd U.S. Artillery and troops from the 9th U.S. Infantry on Muckleshoot Prairie along the White River near its junction with the Green River. Built out as a stockade with two bastions. The post was abandoned in July or August 1857.
Site southeast of Auburn in Pierce County, Washington.